torsdag 17 november 2011

Circumnavigation Valö 15 Nov 2011

                                                                                                                          

Billdal - Valö

No wind. The sun shines. Chrystal blue sky. I need to go out. Just a short trip...was my intention.
I put on my dry-suit, loaded the gear in a water-proof bag and off I went.
I got what Stendahl once felt in Firenze, overwhelmed (even if I have paddled these waters several times before).
About to launch at Billdalsbadet
Saw lots of Swans. They gather at this time of the year. Instead of a photo of all of them I include...




Went out to Kumleskär. Here I changed my mind for the first time on this trip.

I could see Fjordholmarna fom here. Between me and Fjordholmarna there was just blue still water. I couldn't resist going out there. The crossing took approximately one hour including some stops in order to ponder about good old Hemingway's words that the world is a fine place and worth the fighting for.
Fjordholmarna is very popular during Summer when especially sailing boats anchor here. The group of islets provide good shelter from winds from almost all directions.
My plan now was to explore these islets, to circumnavigate them all and find some rocks, to land, have some food, and enjoy the scenery.
  
Beauty is ART



It was possible to go there.
Valö Lighthouse at a distance.

Tempting, said something in my mind. Yes. I looked at the watch, looked at Valö. No. I just stay here and explore, I have, after all, already changed my mind once... 
Star Fish. Sea Star. BCU Sea Star.
Mussels make me happy.
Now I took the decision to go to Valö. If you are a member of Gothenburg Paddling Association you can have access to this for a small amount of money. Sometimes there are gatherings. Popular island among paddlers. I simply couldn't resist that temptation either. Andiamo...

Getting close to Valö
                                         

I looked at it for a while and couldn't help sighing out of pure amazement of its beauty and picturesque appearance. I went on in order to circumnavigate the island (several islets add to its feature) and to see whether the seal colony at the Intistles would be around.
No seals, but quite pleased with the view of Tistlarna and the horizon. I found a spot where I could land in order to take some photos and have a snack.

                                                
                                       Time to go. Leaving Valö at 13.15 for a return trip.

                                               
On my way back I saw some seals. Not many of them but some were curious and followed me for quite a while. When I turned around at one moment there was no seal to be seen, but in the next moment I felt followed and then they were there, but I find it difficult to capture them fast enough on a photo.



The sun sets early this time of the year up in the north. But no worries, I was close to home. The red cottage belongs to a fisherman who has specialized in fishing eels. He isn't really positive about the seals...but otherwise really nice. There's a debate going on about the problems.



Killingsholmen

Landing at Billdalsbadet

Back from a fantastic trip, not dramatic at all, just lovely scenery and comfortable paddling.
A day to remember. Why not listening to U2s Peace on Earth while reading this.

1 kommentar:

  1. Beautiful excursion, flat water, I well remember when we went there in August. The seals live around Valo, so it will be always possible to visit them!

    SvaraRadera